Oil Seals, sometimes called Radial Shaft Seals, are important components of almost all industrial and manufacturing machinery. The oil seals work to seal gaps in the equipment preventing spillage or leakage of oil and other liquids and chemicals, and also prevent dirt and contaminants from entering the machinery. For this reason an oil seal can be also known as a dirt, fluid and grease seal.
Oil Seal Materials & Applications
We offer Oil Seals made from a number of materials, good for different applications.
- NBR (nitrile rubber or acrylonitrile-butadiene) is probably the most common material utilised to manufacture the oil seals we offer. It is particularly useful to seal fluids such as mineral oils and fats (like those used in gearboxes, engines etc.), hydraulic oils, paraffin-based oils (aliphatic), and water/aqueous solutions. Temp range -30°C to + 120°C.
- HNBR (Hydrogenated nitrile rubber). Similar to NBR but generally more resistant to oils and solvents, making it good when resistance to heat, abrasion or ozone is required. Temp range -40°C to + 150°C.
- ACM (Polyacrylic rubber). Good for use with hydraulic, transmission and engine oils (including those with additives or sulphur). Temp range -25°C to + 150°C.
- MVQ (Siliconic rubber). Good for use with mineral oils and glycol-based fluids but NOT for use with petrols. MVQ oils seals are also good for use when resistance to light or ozone/atmospheric agents is necessary. Temp range -55°C to + 180°C.
- FPM (Fluorinated rubber). Good for use with vegetable and mineral oils/fats, chlorinated solvents, and aliphatic and aromatic hydrocarbons such as xylene, benzene or toluene. Temp range -30°C to + 200°C.
- EPDM (Ethylene-propylene rubber). Good for use with water (under 100 degrees Celsius), steam, polar solvents, hydraulic brake fluids and basic pH fluids. Temp range -50°C to + 150°C.
Statewide Bearings carries a formidable range of Oil Seals from all of the world’s top manufacturing brands. Some of the oil seal brands we stock and distribute include:
- Chicago Rawhide (CR)
- Tai Tsuang (TTO)
Your Oil Seal Requirements
When consulting your local branch about your Oil Seals needs, please provide us with the following details:
- Desired Material: NBR, Viton or Steel backed
- Dimensions: ID x OD x W
- Some information about the intended environment, temperatures etc.
- What fluid it is retaining or what contaminants is it sealing out?